Rough Magic has been an anchor for theatre production and a significant mentor of a new generation of emerging artists. Since 2001 our SEEDS programme has launched many outstanding theatre makers. Launched in 2021, COMPASS offers artist development through commissions, mentorship and workshops. Our office in South Great Georges Street is a resource-sharing creative hub where theatre-makers can grow their practice and network with other professionals.
Recent work from Rough Magic includes:
- The Methuen publication of Rough Magic Theatre Company – New Irish Plays and Adaptations 2010-2018, edited by Patrick Lonergan.
- Tonic, world premiere at the Kilkenny Arts Festival and Dublin Fringe Festival.
- Glue, world premiere at the Dublin Theatre Festival.
- All the Angels, Irish premiere at the Everyman, Cork and Smock Alley, Dublin.
- Solar Bones by Mike McCormack, produced in partnership with Kilkenny Arts Festival at the Watergate Theatre and streamed on RTE.ie and as part of Culture Ireland’s SEODA Festival
- Commissions for 7 major Irish writers through our new Artist Development Programme COMPASS
- 8 ROUGH IDEAS bursaries for Irish theatre makers
The company has maintained quality in its work over 4 decades to critical acclaim, peer recognition and audience loyalty.
A record 4 Irish Times Best Production Awards
London Time Out Award, and 2 Edinburgh Fringe Firsts
All of this is brought to you by the Rough Magic team led by Artistic Director Lynne Parker.