Producer – Full Time Position at Rough Magic
A part-time position is now becoming a key, full-time role at Rough Magic.
Rough Magic is one of Ireland’s leading theatre producers and a significant mentor to emerging artists. Founded in 1984, Rough Magic is recognised both as independent creative entity and a valued institution, covering international contemporary work, world classics and new Irish writing.
Since 2001 Rough Magic has pioneered artist development in Irish theatre, through its SEEDS programme for emerging artists. In 2021 the company launched COMPASS, folding play development and support for artists into the company’s core programming as we approach our 40th Anniversary.
Our Strategy 2023-2025 can be read by following this link.
The Producer will work alongside the Artistic Director and General Manager as a key member of the Rough Magic management team and will play a vital role in all aspects of company operation and strategy.
The successful candidate will be expected to work full-time in our Dublin City Centre office and to have the requisite skills and experience to deliver an ambitious artistic programme for 2023 and beyond.
Duties of the role include but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the Artistic Director, General Manager, and our freelance colleagues on all aspects of Rough Magic’s operation
- Working with the General Manager in setting annual budgets
- Scheduling all productions and tours
- Managing production budget spend in collaboration with the General Manager and Production Manager
- Reconciling production budgets
- Overseeing productions across all departments; managing and liaising with creative teams, production managers, line-producers and production coordinators, artists, and technicians
- Negotiating contracts for commissions and performance rights, to freelance artists and technicians, and with presenting and co-producing partners
- Overseeing press and marketing strategies on productions, and engaging graphic designers and specialists
- Travelling with touring shows both nationally and internationally, when required
- Seeking new production partners and opportunities in Ireland and internationally
- Ensuring the long and healthy further life of each Rough Magic production by pursuing all transfer, remount and touring opportunities
- Supporting and mentoring freelance COMPASS artists and SEEDS apprentices on funding applications and development presentations
- Representing the company at meetings with key funders and partners
- Working with the Artistic Director and General Manager in developing funding strategies and opportunities
- Contributing to the content of funding applications
- Playing a key role in devising long-term company strategy
- Presenting at Board meetings when required
- Monitoring and ensuring compliance with Rough Magic’s stated policies
- Promoting excellent working practice across productions
- Promoting public awareness of the Rough Magic brand
Key Requirements of Role
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience of producing professional theatre and will possess the following key skills and traits:
- A thorough knowledge of the Irish theatre sector
- An excellent understanding of Rough Magic’s history and ethos, and its place within the sector
- An excellent working knowledge of the full theatre production process
- Experience of producing professional theatre on a large scale to the highest level
- Experience in negotiating production contracts and co-producer agreements
- Proven experience in setting objectives and managing teams
- Contacts within the arts industry in Ireland and abroad
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent administrative skills, with strong proficiency in excel and word
- Experience in writing funding applications
- Knowledge and understanding of Arts Council funding streams, strategies, and policies
- Knowledge of funding streams in Europe and internationally
- The ability to multi-task across a busy production schedule, managing priorities
- Experience of producing tours of Irish work to international venues
- Flexibility for varying working hours when the company is in production
- The facility to travel with productions when required
- Experience of working with both established and emerging artists across all stages of their careers
- A cover letter detailing your suitability for the role
- An up-to-date CV
- Contact details for 2x referees
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday 2nd December. Please use “Producer Application” as part of your email subject line.
Interviews will take place in early-December with a view to the successful candidate starting in January 2023.
Salary for this role will be commensurate with experience. Rough Magic is an equal opportunities employer.
Rough Magic is supported by The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon