In 2020 Rough Magic launched COMPASS.
COMPASS is an instrument designed to bring work from inception to production, to develop an ambitious programme of new plays and adaptations by emerging and established writers, and in collaboration with key producing partners across the country, reach greater audiences and new destinations. One of the aims of COMPASS is the international dissemination of our work.
COMPASS Stage 1: Development:
- Commissions: 8 new commissions awarded to writers, both emerging and established, to develop new plays with the company
- Rough Ideas: an open call for expressions of interest from writers and theatre-makers to begin a structured and funded conversation with the company about the possibilities for future projects and collaborations. This produced 207 responses, 8 of which were selected for further development
- SEEDS (Seek out-Encourage-Enable-Develop-Stage): a new iteration of Rough Magic’s highly regarded development programme for emerging artists, providing mentorship across all creative disciplines (including design, direction and producing) as well as opportunities for paid placements on Rough Magic productions. Since its launch in 2001, 55 artists have participated in the SEEDS programme; of these, 50% have been professionally employed directly by Rough Magic and 87% continue to work in the industry today.
- Rough Weekend: a two-day showing of Rough Ideas works-in-development for audiences and industry partners, made in collaboration with – and showcasing – our SEEDS participants
Supported by the Lackendarragh Bursary, a significant donation of support from benefactor Seán Páircéir.
COMPASS Stage 2: Production:
- We have begun co-production partnerships with the Lime Tree Limerick, the Theatre Royal Waterford, the Everyman Cork to premiere work, transferring to partner venues around Ireland and internationally
- Dramaturgical & production workshops with our Literary Manager and creative teams form part of these relationships
For further announcements join our mailing list below. Applications for 2023/2024 are now closed. Thank you for your submissions which are currently being reviewed by the Rough Magic team.